Saturday, July 16, 2011

Women Thinking vs. Men's... the battle continues

While the discussion started out as a humorous teasing between co-workers over lunch, the topic of ‘how women and men’s thinking, analysis and approach differs, sometimes drastically, towards the daily issues each face’, it spread through a number of days where I opened the subject with different friends, colleagues and even family members. Each seemed to have their own differing opinion on how men and women see things. One thing all agreed on is that men do come from different planets. While this post might further justify that all men are sexist pigs or that Middle Eastern men come from the stone ages (in terms of women treatment), I beg to differ and argue that this is an international proposition.
The first of other discussions that followed had me sitting through unfavorable odds with three ladies – whom, for the record, I respect and believe are fair and objective in their assessment of any subject – and poor little old me. Thought I ferociously fought the “Man” proposition, as the saying goes: ‘numbers defeated courage’ and my version of logic on the matter at hand; my version of logic being my humble opinion. To put things in perspective, I believe men to be of simpler and more practical formation as compared to women. When something bothers us, we simply say it and deal with any consequences later. We eat ice cream because we want to, not because we’re depressed.
As French historian Jules Michelet sums it, “Woman is a miracle of divine contradictions”. While contradiction was defined by one of the girls as the ability to analyze the issue at hand before making a decision, I called it overcomplicating things. You see my premise was simple and straight forward: Men are simple human beings. Women however tend to overanalyze and rather complicate things.
I realize that women nowadays are facing a lot of challenges that didn’t exist in earlier times. Life itself is becoming more complicated as well despite all our attempts to simplify it. Add to that our goals, men and women alike, to have it all doesn’t help in our feeble attempts to understand women, relate to them and occasionally meet eye to eye. One can only dream!

Anyways, a Lebanese thought…

No comments:

Post a Comment